Call for Papers
Dynamic Environments: Migration, Encounter, Exchange
The Pacific Coast Branch of the American Historical Association
107th Annual Meeting, August 14th – 16th 2014
Historical change takes place in a variety of environments: cities and suburbs, oceans and deserts, cultural institutions and cyberworlds. These environments are all dynamic, subject to chaotic and subtle change over time. Social identities of gender, race, class, and sexuality are constructed within such dynamic environments. Similarly, ideas of nature and science are negotiated in these ever-changing social worlds.
The program committee invites complete panels and individual papers that reflect the dynamism of social, political, and natural environments. We welcome submissions that deal with all continents and incorporate a variety of geographic scales, including world, transnational, regional, and local history. Panels focused on issues of human migration, cultural encounters, and social/ecological exchange are especially welcome.
We welcome submissions for panels, roundtable discussions, workshops, and individual papers. We also particularly welcome panels composed of or including graduate students. All submissions should be sent by email, with attachments in Word or RTF format; please write “Proposed PCB Session (or Paper)” in the subject line.
- When submitting a panel proposal:
- include an abstract that outlines the panel’s theme
- designate one panelist as contact person
- include all contact information for each panelists and a short biography of each person
- indicate audio/visual needs.
- Each paper proposal, whether individual or part of a panel, should include, for each participant:
- one–page abstract
- audio/visual needs
- one–page c.v.
- address, phone number, and email.
The Program Committee assumes all members of proposed panels have agreed to participate. The deadline for submissions is Wednesday, January 15, 2014.
- Please email submissions to both:
Hillary JenksPortland State University
Sarah ElkindSan Diego State University